Our Member of the Month for May is David Sabb! You might not know David, as he does mainly morning sessions. He’s come on leaps and bounds! He comes at least 4-5 times a week, jogs here from home, and always has a smile on his face.
Though successful in the business world, David doesn’t let ego get in the way of progress. He recognises that we know what we’re doing, and lets us coach him, diving into every workout.
So glad you’re here David!
1) What do you love about Crossfit, and how does it help you in your day to day life?
As I am still relatively new to Crossfit (3 months in) it means everything is a challenge.
I love the complexity of the movements with the challenge of stamina and strength, as well as the variety of workouts that I would never be able to do myself in a gym or at home.
The fact that everyone is so friendly and encouraging. It really does feel like a small community of like-minded people.
When I started I had chronic knee problems and I was skeptical as to whether I would be able to physically cope with the sessions. But with the help of the coaches and with hands-on advice, they have helped me overcome the physical and mental barriers that had previously prevented me to even being able to complete a proper squat.
I can now complete a full squat and I can even do barbell squats. I have also been able to run more than 3k pain-free which is something I had not been able to do for nearly a year previously.
2) What’s your favourite workout?
My favourite workout so far has been “Tail Lights” as I love the team element and find both the deadlifts and sandbag run so challenging !!!!
3) What 3 things would you say are CFW’s biggest plus points?
- The quality of coaching is a huge plus point.
Shaun, Chris & Donavan are all extremely attentive and will take the time to show you if you need to tweak your technique, and they are always encouraging but I never feel pushed too far.
- This may sound like a cliche, but the people are part of what makes CFW stand out as they are very welcoming. There’s a sense of community and everyone encourages and wants to help. This is something I have never experienced anywhere that I have trained previously.
- The variety of workouts is fantastic, I feel that I am constantly outside my comfort zone when it comes to the movements, physically I am being pushed to my limit each session. All of this while learning new technical skills….. it’s amazing !!
4) How has being a part of our community had a positive effect on you?
Since Joining CFW I have noticeably increased my fitness. But seeing what the other members are able to do during the sessions alongside having to juggle work and family, has given me a belief that I too can achieve my fitness goals without having to train like a professional athlete…. clearly with a lot more hard work !!!
5) What’s your favourite treat meal?
I would say it has to be “Fillet Steak and Triple Fried Chips”
6) What would you say to anyone new trying out CFW for the first time?
I would say do not be daunted by what looks to be very technical and challenging movements as they do become easier the more you do them.
Don’t worry about where ever you are on the scale of fitness as wherever you start from you will see improvements.
Lastly, I would say just enjoy it as nobody ever judges or compares and everyone wants you to succeed.